Okay, I'm not sure if this is considered to be a true geek moment. You can be the judge. Well, every time I drive down/up 101 and see the giants of the dotcom era sprinkled alongside the freeway, a rush of excitement washes over me. It's just so exciting to see these HUGE companies that are responsible for so many innovative ideas and have revolutionized the use of technology, and they are just sitting in our backyard! Just off the top of my head, I remember seeing Yahoo, Intel, Webex, McAfee... gosh, I really don't remember a lot. Here is a list of Fortune 1000 companies in the bay area including their rank and location (taken from CNNMoney.com).
14 Hewlett-Packard, Palo Alto
62 Intel, Santa Clara
77 Cisco Systems, San Jose
121 Apple, Cupertino
167 Oracle,Redwood City
187 Sun Microsystems, Santa Clara
241 Google, Mountain View
243 Solectron, Milpitas
274 Applied Materials, Santa Clara
357 Yahoo, Sunnyvale
360 Synnex, Fremont
383 eBay, San Jose
387 Agilent Technologies, Santa Clara
407 Advanced Micro Devices, Sunnyvale
515 Symantec, Cupertino
610 SanDisk, Milpitas
640 Nvidia, Santa Clara
658 Electronic Arts, Redwood City (ok, not quite techie, but it's gaming...)
725 Spansion, Sunnyvale
727 Adobe Systems, San Jose
776 Intuit, Mountain View
787 Juniper Networks, Sunnyvale
817 National Semiconductor, Santa Clara
837 KLA-Tencor, San Jose
838 Network Appliance, Sunnyvale
864 LSI, Milpitas
899 Maxim Integrated Products, Sunnyvale
942 Xlinx, San Jose
960 Novellus Systems, San Jose
997 Palm, Sunnyvale
Quite an impressive list of high-tech fortune 1000 companies we have in the bay area! I'm so proud to live here. There are a few other companies that didn't make the official list, but I still think they're cool. I will continue with an honorable mention list later. To see a full list of the Fortune 1000 companies that we have in California, click here.
I started this entry by questioning whether or not this can count as a geek moment. After taking the time to type out each cool company that resides here, and having fun doing it at two in the morning, I think it's official. I have just experienced another geek moment. Congratulations, Josephine. Good job.
2 comments:
If that makes you a geek then so am I! Right in our own backyard! Wow, that makes me really proud to be living in the Bay Area!
Keep up the Blogs!
Radom thoughts aren't so random, nor are you the only one thinking about them!
Hong...you are really a geek.
Post a Comment