Saturday, February 2, 2008

Thailand/Cambodia - Day 5

Day 5
Hm. I think day 5 was pretty uneventful. In the morning, we left Mali...something...korn for the airport. Flew from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to Siem Reap, Cambodia. The impression of Cambodia I got from the ride between the airport and our hotel wasn't that great. It really reminded me of the outskirts of Saigon, Vietnam. Worn down buildings littered with trash lined both sides of the main road. Conditions looked just a little better as we approached the tourist areas. In this environment, I automatically became on guard with all that's around me. The poverty and corruption were suffocating.

When we reached our hotel, we were warmly greeted by the staff there. As we checked out each of our rooms, we were then greeted by mosquitoes. It was so bad in one of our friends' rooms that we were seriously thinking about switching hotels. We all later agreed that no matter where we go, facing mosquitoes is inevitable. To prevent himself from getting bit, Tommy tried to seal off a few openings from his clothing and worked out a new fashion trend. You like?

We washed up, had a so-so dinner, wrestled with the Cambodian currency, the riel, when given the dinner bill, purchased drinks and A LOT of mosquito repellent supplies, hung out at the boys' room, washed up again, called it a night pretty early because we had an early start the next morning, spent the night there actually because our room was poisoned from the insane amount of mosquito coils that were burning in ours. We would have burned a lot of brain cells if we had slept in our room. It was fun. Sort of like a slumber party! At this point in our trip, I had already felt a strong bond between the group. Bidding them goodnight each night was a bit sad. Couldn't wait to see everyone the next morning again. That night, we didn't have to leave! It was great!

1 comment:

LANCINESS said...

i'm glad you found new friends, your old ones didn't like you too much anywhoo. JK! Since you have forgotten about me and your old man, i think keith and I should go out more. But I don't like visiting the old folks home, i leave smelling like Ben Gay