We left Phuket with a heavy heart. On our way to the airport, I stole final glances at the beach and the overwhelming Western influence of the businesses that lined the streets. Our flight to Bangkok was also our very last flight on Bangkok Air, an airline we have all grown to love. They serve meals no matter how short the flight is!
We checked into the Dream Hotel in Sukhumvit. This was a very nice hotel, but their eclectic style in their lobby clashed a little too much. Their rooms were lovely though. The down pillows and comforters were so soft, and the mattress was more shock absorbent than the other hotels. (Mattresses at the other hotels were so hard, I bounced off of one of them!) The carpet was so plush, I didn't want to walk on it with shoes to preserve it! (Is that really Asian of me?) They also had these blue lights installed in every room. Cold and kinky... Hmm....
In Tommy and Giselle's room, there were two of the same images framed facing their bed. They were of a woman staring at them with a very stoic expression and a tear running down her cheek. Why in the world would you put up images like these?! Giselle found them disturbing so chose to take them down and hid them behind the desk. Good decision.
Was this the day I wanted to take a 30 minute nap, but it ended up being 3 hours instead?! And Mae ordered a $20 salad from the restaurant upstairs. At least it was good! Yeah, while they ate and hung by/in the pool, I slept... and slept... and slept.Again, we went to Siam Square for some shopping in the afternoon. This was our first time on the Skytrain. Their Skytrain is like BART, but it's newer and a lot cleaner! Everybody split up when we got there. The guys went their way, Giselle and Mae stuck together, and I decided to venture out to the little shops instead of staying in the malls, though the malls are very nice and modern, unlike the first one we went to on our first day. I bought SO MUCH stuff. It was fantastic! And all for $60!
The rest of the evening was a blur. I have NO idea what we did. (Hey! Traveling peeps! If you remember, please tell me!)***Attention readers! The rest of this entry contains material not suitable for youngsters, so read at your own discretion!***
Oh yeah! OMG! How could I have forgotten!! The boys and I went to Patpong!! Since Victor and I missed the ping-pong shows in Phuket, we decided to visit Patpong, the best place to go to see such shows. Patpong is known for their dirty establishments. Okay, so the boys and I take the subway to this neighborhood. (Giselle and Mae decided to go eat and do something else instead. They weren't interested in seeing women do tricks with their vaginas.) To get to the heart of this area, we walked through a street full of hungry, gay men working for bars and other stuff (not really sure what "other stuff" means...) hungry for patrons. Our pace was brisk. We got through there rather quickly. All I can say is WOW. What a strange place.
Now. This is where all the shows happen. And you can tell because right when you step onto this street, men are waving menus at you, saying, "Look for free! No like, no pay!" And these menus aren't drink or food menus. These are menus listing the different "shows" these ladies will put on for you.
So after walking by a few offering their shows, we finally decided to visit one that promised "Look for free! No like, no pay!" All we had to do was buy a drink which was 100 baht (equivalent to about $3). We climbed up a flight of narrow stairs and entered a bar with bar tops in the middle and pleather seats stretched along the walls. We all ordered cokes. One of the strippers nearly begged me to buy her one as well, and since I can't say NO to people, I agreed. She was so thankful. I wonder how many cokes she gets to drink per day... We sat there, watching the women dance on the poles. It's funny. They all dance the same, rotating their hips in a circular motion. And that's it. Now, don't let your imagination go amok. These women cannot be compared to Playboy spreads. The majority of them are either somewhat unattractive, overweight, or old. Sorry to stamp out those delicious thoughts, fellas. =\ The only show-like thing we saw was an overweight gal pulling a string of flowers, an extremely long string of flowers, from her vagina. Shortly after this, a woman, probably the owner or manager, sat down next to Tommy and tallied up our bill. Since we got five cokes, it should have been 500 baht. But no. She said, "2900 baht." "WHAT?! Isn't it 500 baht?!" Tommy asked in shock. She said that we watched the show, therefore, we owe an additional 2400 baht. That was absolutely ridiculous. After some words that were thrown back and forth, we paid the 500 baht and stormed out of there.
Pissed off, we stomped down the street, only to be immediately approached by more men waving menus in front of us. One of the men read the expressions on our faces and was able to translate it correctly so his selling point was the other places are dishonest. At his joint, all you have to pay for are the drinks. The shows are completely free. After a bit of persuading, we gave in and walked into the strip club.
This place had a stage in the middle, about 10'x10'. The girls here weren't as unattractive, but most of them lacked sex appeal. How can you be sexy with your hair tied in a half ponytail and wearing absolutely nothing but socks! It sort of looked like they yanked these girls from a nearby farm... Again, these girls all danced that gyrating dance. In between the dancing were some "shows." I can't really call them shows because some of them were so lame.
The lamest show was a group of four girls walking in circles on the stage wearing long red robes with hoods holding candles. They waved the candles around and really did nothing. It sort of cracked me up because it was so non-entertaining except for the fact that any of their robes could have caught on fire at any moment...
Some of the more interesting things included a girl using her vagina to blow a whistle, honk a bicycle horn, smoke a cigarette, and using one or two straws, a girl picked up little disks and slid them around a coke bottle. That was pretty impressive. After the performance, the same girl, actually the most attractive of the lot, came up to a western man sitting in front of us, slid off her underwear, and started grinding on him. And he was groping her everywhere! OMG! A little distracting... So we waited for a ping-pong show, but it never happened, so we left. Though a little disappointed, I was still glad I got to see all of those talented women perform for us. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this was my first time going to a strip club, well, been to a male strip club before, but that's different. Waaaaaay different.
Oh yeah, cameras weren't allowed in these places, so there are no photos to show! Sorry!
We got back to the hotel and Mae and Giselle weren't back yet! I hung out with the boys for a bit, waiting for Mae to come back. The boys wanted to sleep, so I reluctantly left them for the night. Don't know what time she returned for I was fast asleep in my oh so comfy bed. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment