Monday, July 2, 2007

Who Loves the 80s?

I know. I know. A million people have already shared their views about the 80s so I'll try to keep this short.

I'm writing about this unique and colorful decade because my friend threw an 80s party for her 30th birthday over the weekend, and I attended. I was really happy to see that most guests dressed the part. It's funny how we all have this fascination with the 80s. When we all got the evite, everyone got so excited and immediately started thinking about what to wear. I guess this reaction is common with all themed parties, but with the 80s, nostalgia kicks in and just the word "eighties" is an endorphin booster. I was actually still pretty young then and didn't partake much in the realm of fashion, but I definitely had my share of fantastic shows like She-ra, Beverly Hills Teens, Punky Brewster, Papa Bears (does ANYBODY remember this show????)... The list goes on and on and on... I was definitely a TV addict. (HEY! That's something else I was addicted to! - from previous Geek Moment post...)

Anyway, this decade was great. It gave birth to fabulous cartoons, sitcoms, movies, music, dancing, and, oh yes, fashion. This decade seemed bright, colorful, and innocent, well, from what I remember. And FUN! I guess that's the main reason why everyone gets excited when they're invited to an 80s party.

Here are a few of my top fives (in no particular order):

Women's Fashion
1. big crazy hair - the bigger, the better
2. colorful gaudy makeup - if you don't look like a clown, you don't have enough on
3. shoulder pads - why would you want to look like a football player?
4. pegged pant legs - again, why?
5. lacy glove with cut off fingers - thanks, Madonna

Cartoons
1. She-ra!
2. Beverly Hills Teens
3. Papa Bears
4. Bionic Six
5. Smurfs, Thundercats, and Super Friends (cheap way of squeezing in a couple more!)

TV Shows
1. Punky Brewster
2. Family Ties
3. Who's The Boss?
4. Growing Pains
5. Silver Spoons

Movies
I actually didn't watch many American movies when I was little, but here are a few I find memorable.
1. The Omen
2. Goonies
3. Indiana Jones
4. Back to the Future
5. Never Ending Story (my favorite!!) and Blue Lagoon

Music
I didn't listen to much American music either, but here are some I liked (Chinese and English) By the way, my taste in 80s music has changed over the years, except for the Chinese stuff. I'll always love that!
1. Anita Mui
2. Paula Tsui
3. Cover Girls
4. Expose
5. Roman Tam and Jenny Tseng duets (my favorite!!)

Boy! It took forever to find out the English names of the singers! Anyway, I'm posting some pictures from the 80s party. Here's one. Will post more as my friends upload theirs!

This is me and Pat in our 80s gear. Doesn't it look like she's ready to party with Prince?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josephine,

Hi. You don't know me but I happened to run across this page. Wanted to say you look hot!

You have a boyfriend? ;)

Josephine Zee Papillon said...

Ha ha! Thanks, Jay. You just made my day. If I had a bf, would I be blogging all the time?! LOL!

LANCINESS said...

YEAH, you'd be blogging about your boyfriends and how MEN RULE!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE NKOTB!!