Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I Know this Much is True


I bought this book at an airport several years ago. This was chosen because it had Oprah's seal of approval and was a #1 New York Times Bestseller. I've never read any books from Oprah's Book Club, but just assumed it was supposed to be good... Forward to three years later, and I'm finally done with the book.

If it took me three years to finish it, it's obvious I wasn't too fond of it. I actually had to start all over again which was a pain because the whole book was rather depressing. It's about a pair of twin brothers Dominick and Thomas. The first is "normal" while the other suffers from schizophrenia. One day, Thomas hacks off his arm in a library because of the voices in his head and is immediately placed into an institution. A portion of the book takes you through the obstacles Dominick, the "healthy" twin, goes through to try to help his brother, while a large hunk of the book talks about their past growing up with an abusive step father and a mother who's afraid of her own shadow. The story of his grandfather is also told through an autobiography his grandfather left behind before he passed away. That was the most interesting part...

I find this book to be quite depressing, dark and moody. There is not one happy person in it. Happy moments can be counted one hand, and those are always crushed by something horrible that happens afterwards. Almost everyone has major mental or emotional issues. This was just not my kind of book. I like to escape to different times and places to experience adventure, romance, good humor... This book didn't deliver any of these. If you like books that are dark and depressing, this one's for you!

1 comment:

ayesh_3 said...

I read this book last year. And sobbed and sobbed and sobbed... Wally Lamb is a sadist! But he is brilliant at pulling at your heart strings. You should read SHE'S COME UNDONE which will break you. I have just finished THE HOUR I FIRST BELIEVED which is the worst of the lot (in tears of heartache). But worth it!